Most owners of a small shower stall agree on one thing: The shower head needs to be compact, yet efficient and versatile enough to work for all purposes.
There’s no need to fill up the limited space with a bulky rain shower head or a clumsy wall mount. Instead, opt for a functional solution that saves space and uses water efficiently.
We recommend going for a hand shower package with a slide bar included, so you can adjust the height according to who’s using the shower stall. This is a great solution, because it allows everyone to adjust the shower and get the most out of the water used. Otherwise you’ll end up wasting gallons of water on nothing, and that’s basically money poured down the drain. Literally and figuratively.
If a slide bar isn’t a viable option because of the installation required, we recommend going for the next best option: A detachable handheld shower head in a swiveling arm or base.
Our top 4 picks
Below are the best shower heads for small shower stalls:
- Editor’s choice: Kohler K-98361-CP Awaken G90 Slide Bar Kit
This is hands down the best shower head and slide bar combo for a small shower stall – a nice simplistic design with 3 shower settings and adjustable height makes it useful in any thinkable situation.
- Best value: Hydroluxe 1841 Rainfall and Handheld Shower Head Combo
If wall installation isn’t an option, the Hydroluxe 1841 combo offers a decent alternative with no tools required for installation. Simply attach the shower arm, assemble the hose and shower heads, and you’ll be ready to take your first shower within minutes.
- Also great: Moen 26112 Engage Magnetix Six-Function Shower Head
If you want a bit of luxury, the Moen Engage Magnetix shower head is a great solution. Featuring a magnetic base there’s no more fiddling around with stubborn mounts – the magnet instantly locks the shower head at contact.
- Also great: Delta 57014 Hand Shower Package
This shower head has a beautiful design, and comes with added functionality in the form of soft spray holes, where any calcium and lime build-up is removed with a touch of your hand.
In-depth reviews of the best shower heads for small shower stalls
Apart from our own review- and evaluation process, we analyzed thousands of user ratings and expert reviews to find the best shower heads for a small shower stall.
Here are the most important factors when choosing your new shower head:
- A hose that doesn’t kink. A hose with a durable exterior is important, and you’d either want to look for a somewhat stiff plastic/rubber hose, or a metal hose.
- A slide bar for the shower head. While this isn’t necessarily a must-have it will allow you to adjust the height of the shower head, which is convenient in any home with kids. Soap is rinsed off much faster the closer you are to the water stream, and it’s easier for kids to shower by themselves.
- A somewhat compact shower head. You don’t want a big bulky rain shower head inside your small shower stall. First of all it may look disproportionate, and secondly it’s difficult to handle in a limited space.
Below are the best shower heads, picked by our team of experts:
Kohler K-98361-CP Awaken G90 Slide Bar Kit
- Durable and functional shower kit
- Adjustable sliding bar makes it easy for anyone to take a shower
- Low flowrate of 2 GPM means more efficient use of water
What we like
- Contemporary design fits all styles
- Sliding bar allows for more usage options in a small shower stall
- Handheld shower head is simple yet durable
- The hose is kink-free
- Shower head kit is manufactured in the US
- Superb intense drenching feature
- Three shower settings available: Wide coverage, intense drenching, and a targeted spray
- 24-inch slide bar with adjustable mounting brackets for easy and flexible installation
- Polished chrome finish
- 60-inch kink free ribbon hose
- Flow rate of 2 gallons per minute
Most people agree that a slide bar is a great addition to the handheld shower head. It enables you to adjust the height of the shower head, which in return gives you a more efficient use of water. The closer you are to the actual shower head, the more water is used efficiently instead of just splashing to the sides.
For a family that has both kids and adults using a small shower stall, this Kohler Awaken G90 shower set is a great choice. With a low-flow shower setup you’ll only use 2 gallons per minute, which is significantly less than old shower heads. And you may not even notice any difference, because of how well the water is utilized through the handheld shower head.
There are three spray patterns available, and these are easily controlled by pressing the thumb tab to rotate the spray holes.
Hydroluxe 1841 Rainfall and Handheld Shower Head Combo
- Great affordable pick
- Rainfall shower head and handheld shower head combo
- Suitable for multiple purposes
What we like
- Attractive chrome finish
- Rainfall shower head is great for quick showers
- Handheld shower head works well for all kinds of tasks
- Metal hose doesn’t kink and has great flexibility at the same time
- Easy installation with no tools required
- Ideal for kids and pets
- Separate handheld shower head for easy cleaning of anything
- 5-foot flexible stainless steel hose
- 6-inch rainfall shower head
- 4-inch handheld shower head
- Click lever dial with 3 options: Rainfall shower, handheld shower, or both
- High-pressure water at 2-3 gallons per minute
This shower head combo is a great choice for the budget-conscious homeowner, who wants a solution that’s easy to install and with no use of tools.
For a small bathroom it has multiple great features, including the detachable handheld shower head, and an overall space saving design.
Moen 26112 Engage Magnetix Six-Function Shower Head
- 6 shower settings in one head
- Kink-free metal hose included
- Magnetic base makes the shower head snap easily into place after use
What we like
- Super easy to snap into place because of the magnetic base
- Hose is durable and won’t kink/break
- Six different shower settings provides one setting for any need
- Chrome finish looks super stylish in any small shower stall
- Shower head always snaps into a forward-facing position, so it won’t splash out to the sides when docked
- 1.75 GPM flow rate
- 5.5-inch wide shower head
- Durable chrome finish
- 6 different shower settings: Massage, relaxing massage, wide coverage, rinse, downpour, and intensify
- Kink-free metal house
- Magnetic docking system allows the shower head to snap into place easily
- Backed by a limited lifetime warranty
If you want a compact shower head that fits in a small shower stall, yet still big enough to give you somewhat of a rain shower feeling, the Moen Engage Magnetix is a great choice.
It features six different shower settings, allowing you to pick just the right one to get the job done. If you want a relaxing stream of water, choose one of the massage settings. If you want a more intense stream of water to rinse off any excess soap, choose the rinse setting.
There’s also a kink-free metal hose included, and has a water consumption of up to 2 gallons per minute.
Delta 57014 Hand Shower Package
- Durable and well designed
- Slide bar enables you to adjust the height
- 3 shower settings – Full body, massage, aerated
What we like
- Design is nice and functional
- No bells and whistles – just pure functionality
- Slide arm is a practical add-on to any small shower stall
- Hose attaches to water taps in any height
- Soft spray holes are easy to keep clean and free from calcium and lime build-ups
- Three shower settings: Full body, massage, aerated
- Flow rate: Up to 2.5 gallons per minute
- Includes a sliding shower head parking bracket
- Parking bracket adjusts in any angle
- Hose length: 69″
- Durable kink-free plastic hose with a chrome finish
This type of shower head/slide bar combo is the best purchase for any small shower stall. It is not only easy to mount on any type of wall, but also extremely durable and versatile.
Because of the slide bar there’s a minimum of splashing no matter if it’s yourself, your kids, or even your dog showering – because it easily adjusts to the proper height, and therefore you’ll get the most out of your precious water.
Any calcium and lime build-up is easily removed from the spray holes, because of the soft material surrounding them. That way you can just run your fingers over the area while having the water running, to loosen any build-ups.
7 types of shower heads you should know
Shower heads vary according to how they mount in the bathroom as well as their flow rate. In turn, there are at least ten types of shower heads. Here are seven shower heads suitable for a small shower stall:
1. A single spray shower head
This shower head is a simplistic model producing high-pressure water in one spray. It generates enough water for a quick bath without wastage. This design is quite affordable, hence popular in most homesteads.
It makes a pocket-friendly option for a small shower stall. However, it is not possible to lower the water pressure, and as such it may not be ideal when you also want to share your bathroom with kids or pets.
2. A dual spray shower head
Do you love the functionalities of a single spray shower head, but you also want to use it on kids and pets? Then consider a dual spray option.
This model is a rainfall shower head with handheld features. This way, you can switch from one mode to the other depending on who is using it at the time.
Plus, it is a budget-friendly option. A dual spray shower head is in different shapes and sizes. Hence, pick one that will be convenient for your small shower stall.
3. Multi-function shower head
A multi-function shower head has at least five functions in one. It provides high-pressure massage, power mist, far-flung rain, eco-rain, and a gentle mist.
It is a handheld rain shower that gives you the best shower head can offer.
4. Rain shower head
A rain shower head is a favorite for luxury homes. It comprises of a large shower head, usually hanging from the ceiling.
It also includes an extra tap on the bathroom wall. This design sprays lots of water and covers a large surface area, creating a relaxing environment. Some include convenient filters that are quite durable.
Despite popular belief, a rain shower head doesn’t have to be wasteful. It does have to meet the federal regulations on the most allowable flow rate.
5. Ceiling mount shower
Does your small shower stall need a facelift and some class? Then, opt for a ceiling mount shower. This installation on your bathroom ceiling makes your corner bath look luxurious. It is ideal for a couple sharing a bathroom.
A ceiling mount shower disperses water to a more extensive surface area. Yet, the water never splatters out of the bathroom. Hence, it adds intensity to a small bathroom, giving you the best shower experience.
Besides, this shower is clog-proof. Its water outlets are easy to disassemble and clean. However, it is not your best pick if your local area experiences low water pressure.
6. Handheld shower head
A handheld shower head is a favorite in homes with small shower stalls. Indeed, it’s a practical option.
Since it needs no mounting, you can use it to spray in any direction. And added to that, you clean better and quicker while still saving water.
Again, a handheld shower head has useful flow restrictors. This way, you can reduce or increase the water flow as you apply soap to your body. These shower heads are excellent for pets and children too. There is almost no wastage or unwanted spillage, because the water can be pointed in any direction.
7. Low water pressure shower head
Do you live in an area prone to low water pressure? Then, consider a low water pressure shower head.
Its design optimizes the minimal water pressure available. Hence, you get the impression of a massage. Still, a low water pressure shower head is a rather pricey option, as you must have a bathroom built specifically for it.
A small shower head for a small shower stall?
The traditional small shower head retails with lots of water-saving and energy-saving traits. Hence, most homeowners resort to these options when they want to have an eco-friendly home. Yet, these small shower heads are a bit restrictive. And, they have lower water pressure.
A small shower head is ideal for you, if:
- You want to use a handheld shower head. It will direct the water only where you need it. That way, you’ll use less water and still come out of the shower sparkling clean.
- You have a small bath space of about 30 square inches. Such a bathroom has space only for the necessities. Still, the neo-angle designs can make your small wash area look fashionable. It tucks well in corners, making your tight space more accessible.