If you are a sworn auto enthusiast, chances are you will love performing DIY auto tasks that will give your beast a facelift.
Giving your car or any other project a new look is great. But you must be ready to shed thousands of dollars if you outsource the automotive paint job to professional auto-painters.
But, what you might not know is that the whole painting process isn’t rocket science. It is something you can easily pull off if you have the right tools. Besides, investing in one of the best automotive paint guns for beginners out there, will give you the mojo you need to get the job done.
What is an auto-paint gun?
This is a piece of equipment that is similar to a sprayer. However, the paint gun can perform a number of tasks. Apart from auto painting, you can use a paint gun for cabinet painting, house painting, woodworking, house painting and furniture painting, among other uses.
In this review, we are going to focus on automotive painting. There are different types of automotive paint guns:
Types of automotive paint guns
- LVLP – also known as Low Volume Low Pressure spays, discharge low volume of fluids – at a much lower pressure. That means, it will take you more time to achieve your desired results.
- HVLP – also known as High Volume Low Pressure, these spray guns will deliver quantities of paint at reduced pressure. As a result, it will take you a shorter time to do a large painting job..
- APS – also known as Airless Paint Sprayers. These spray guns don’t use air, rather it uses high pressure to eject the paint sprays.
- RPSG – Reduced Pressure Spray Guns, these paint sprays deliver sprays at reduced pressure.
Best automotive paint gun for beginners reviews
If you are looking to start out with auto painting, we have rounded up 3 best automotive paint guns that pack all the great features you need to get the job done.
1. Fuji Spray 5175G-T75G Gravity Spray Gun
The HVLP, turbine-powered spray gun, The Fuji Spray 5175G-T75G is an improvement over the previous Fuji models. It is especially ideal for tackling small spraying jobs.
Weighing a mere 2 lbs and an easy-to-grip stay-cool nylon handle, it makes it not only easy to handle but also carry around the garage. Impressively, if you want to adjust the size of the fan pattern, the gun comes with a convenient side pattern control knob so that adjusting the spray pattern from small to large isn’t a big challenge.
On top of that, the model comes with a new, sleek lightweight and non-bleed design. That means less paint build up on the tip of the fluid nozzle, less turbulence in the spray area, and much less spray gun nose.
The Fuji Spray 5175G-T75G comes with a pre-installed, high-efficiency air cap that is installed for even less overspray and superb atomization while the stainless steel components ensure it will serve you longer, stay clean and non-rusting. Besides, the model ejects paint at a pressure of 9.5 psi, which totally works well for motor vehicle spraying. But, it is not only limited to spraying motor vehicles. The Fuji Spray 5175G-T75G can also effectively paint any metallic asset or wooden household furniture and can work with a range of paint types.
- Can easily be adjusted to different sizes of spray patterns.
- It can work perfectly with any Fuji brand turbine.
- Doesn’t make noise or pollute making it a good fit for handling in-home projects.
- Great choice for small painting projects.
- Light and less cumbersome to work with.
- Not a good choice for large painting tasks.
- Cannot be used with a compressor. Can only be used with a turbine. cordless tools for diy
2. Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000 Paint Spray Gun
One of the most reliable HVLP auto spray guns out there, Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000 output rivals most high-end spray guns out there.
Why are we including this spay gun in our list of best automotive paint guns for beginners? Firstly, this tool comes from Graco, a trusted brand known to manufacture high-quality products. Secondly,Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000 performs wonderfully both on car and truck painting jobs.
Besides, the spray guns come in an impressively lightweight and highly compact design that makes painstakingly big painting jobs easy. Since it is lightweight, you won’t have to worry about arm-fatigue or strain on your joints as you work.
That implies that you will be spraying a uniform amount of spray, and at the same level of quality regardless of whether you are spraying a car, truck, Rv or giving your old furniture a facelift.Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000 is a great choice both for amateur painters (DIYers) at home and professional painters thanks to its ease of use and the classic final finish.
If you want to monitor the paint level as you spray, the spray gun comes with a paint cup lid for that. This feature is particularly useful to you if you just started out painting and don’t have much experience.
- Great choice for auto-painting
- Features lightweight and compact design
- Comes with different tip sizes
- Purchasing new tips might be costly.
- Features a small fan pattern.
3. Tekna 703517 ProLite Spray gun
If you are a regular DIYer looking for a good paint gun for one-off tasks like truck-painting or outdoor painting, this tool will make a great choice for you.
The Tekna 703517 can tackle a variety of auto-paint jobs making it a great investment for you. The spray gun is lightweight. At a mere 2 pounds, it means that your arms and back won’t get strained or get tired quick enough like most paint guns out there will. That means you will be holding your gadget up for longer depending on the task you will be executing.
If you are looking for a product that is compatible with DeKups disposable cup guns, the good news is the Tekna 703517 ProLite is 100% compatible. That makes it a great choice for you if you are a regular painter and already have a lot of work at hand.
On the other hand, the gadget features a special adapter that allows you to properly leverage your current cups. That way, you will be reusing them, instead of wasting them. The Tekna 703517 ProLite spray gun can be used in any type of climate. However, compared to other paint guns out there, this spray gun is relatively expensive.
But the price should not scare you – the benefits for much outweigh the high cost. Besides, you will end up with a great package that delivers a professional looking finish.
- Features a compact, lightweight design.
- Great for use when spraying waterborne and solvent-based coatings.
- Ideal for use in various climatic conditions.
- A bit expensive compared to other models.
- Not ideal when using latex paint.
Outsourcing auto-painting jobs can set you off by thousands of dollars. If you are an auto-enthusiast, chances are you would want to try out some for the tasks that won’t need much expertise.
Auto painting is one of those tasks you can easily pull off given the auto-painting tools. We have already discussed some of the best of the best out there for beginners.
If you are looking for a gravity spray gun, Fuji Spray 5175G-T75G is an HVLP turbine-powered spray gun will be a great choice. Some painting jobs might require waterborne and solvent-based coatings.
In such cases, Tekna 703517 ProLite will make an excellent spraying partner. If you only trust brands that have been the game for a long time, Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP FX3000, a lightweight performer that rivals high-end models won’t disappoint you.
We hope this review will help you get the best automotive paint gun for beginners you are looking for.
Last update on 2021-01-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API